Monday, August 5, 2019

What I Read in July

Happy Monday. Last month, I read accomplished my reading goal. I was on a poetry kick. I read three poetry books, and they were all fantastic. Each book was different, but my favorite book that I read was Take Me With You by Andrea Gibson.

I also read a lot of great blog posts and articles in July. I guess it's true when they say that summer is a good season for reading.

Here's to hoping that I am able to accomplish my reading goal for August. Below are the books that I read in July as well as a list of the blog posts and articles that I loved.

Must Read

Take Me With You by Andrea Gibson

I absolutely loved Andrea Gibson's Take Me With You. Andrea is an LGBTQ poet whose poetry is passionate, honest, and just pure magic. I took my time reading this book because I absolutely loved it. This is a quick read, but I'm sure that most people will take their time reading it because they won't want it to end.

The book is divided into three parts, which are On Love, On the World, and On Becoming. I think my favorite section of the book was On the World. This section touched on things that are currently happening.

Overall, I give this book five stars, and I highly recommend that you check out Andrea's work.



Nocturnal by Wilder

I read this book of poetry in one day. I actually purchased the book because I loved the cover. There were some pretty good poems, and the illustrations are gorgeous. The book was divided into four parts.  The four sections parts are Dusk, Northern Lights, Howl, and Lucid Dreams. I noticed that the central theme in the book was related to nature, which I really enjoyed.

I would rate this book four stars.




Blue Horses by Mary Oliver

I have heard such great things about Mary Oliver's poems and essays, so I decided to read one of her books. I really enjoyed reading Blue Horses. Mary Oliver was inspired by nature, and it definitely shows in her work. This was a quick read, and I actually finished it in three days. The poem, First Yoga Lesson, made me laugh, and I really loved Good Morning. 

I'm looking forward to reading more of her work.

Blog Posts and Articles I Loved in July

Signatures in Danny Zuko's Yearbook by Johnny DiNapoli

Bekah Martinez's Serene and Empowered Waterbirth story on Motherly

A Perfect, Preƫmptive Obituary for My Ex-Boyfriend by Danielle Kraese

Colin Stokes' Reasons I Was Crying on the Subway

How to Cope: Being a Mom Without the Village

Live Your Life Now by Colleen

Mia Sutton's I Miss You (a poem)

This really cute Beach Theme Scrapbook Idea

Summer Anxiety by Mia Sutton

Words. by Stephanie Howell

Everything Changes by Lecy

What did you read in July?

Thanks for visiting!

Until next time...

8 comments

  1. Sounds like a great reading month for you! Definitely checking out that scrapbook link since I just started working on mine over the weekend. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad that you are working on your scrapbook.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read much poetry in recent times, these all sound good. The covers are pretty too, I can see why you bought that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first time reading Mary Oliver and I absolutely love her work. I'm currently reading Upstream and I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to have to check out Blue Horses - I had a high school English teacher named Mary Oliver (not the same person, tho - I looked!) but for old time's sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! That is so cool. Blue Horses was so good. I love that she was inspired by Franz Marc's painting, Blue Horses.

      Delete
  4. Oooh I haven’t read any of these. Nor have I heard of the authors. I really don’t have my finger on the pulse like I used to! Thanks so much for sharing—Take Me With You sounds amazing ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take Me With You was amazing! I highly recommend it.

      Delete