Wednesday, February 5, 2020

What I Read in January

I don't normally participate in reading challenges except for the Goodreads Reading Challenge. I love that it's really simple. All you have to do is set a goal of how many books you want to read for the year. My goal is to read 15 books this year. My 2019 reading goal was to read 12 books and I ended up reading 20 books. I'm excited to see how many books I read this year.

Last month, I accomplished my reading goal. I read not one but two amazing books. Both of the books that I read were on my TBR list and literally on my bookshelf. I'm hoping that I can read all of the books that I've purchased but haven't read yet. I guess you can say that's another reading goal.

Before I start to ramble, let's check out the books that I've read. Also, I read a lot of great blog posts and articles in January. I've included some links so please feel free to check them out. I hope you enjoy them.

Must Read


Where to Begin: A Small Book About Your Power to Create Big Change in Our Crazy World by Cleo Wade

I read Cleo Wade's first book, Heart Talk,  last year and really loved it. So I was really excited to read her latest book. This book did not disappoint. The first 91 pages is a long poem that she presented at a TED Talk a few years ago. The second part of the book contained poems and prose.



Dear Martin by Nic Stone

I actually bought this book a while back and finally got the courage to read it. This is a YA book. However, the topics that are mentioned in this book are real and so important. I noticed that many people enjoyed the book, but did not like the format. The format didn't bother me.

Dear Martin is about a high school student named Jus who attends a prep school in Atlanta. Throughout the story, he writes letters to Martin Luther King Jr. as an experiment. He also deals with issues regarding law enforcement. His first encounter was due to helping his ex-girlfriend. His second encounter was even more infuriating and heartbreaking. Jus has to deal with the loss of his best friend at the hands of a police officer. Some of the character developments in the story were great, as well. It's been a very long time since I almost cried reading a book.

Blog Posts I Loved in January

Steph's Winter Creature Comfort Requirements

Lecy's Favorite Books of 2019 (I added so many books to my TBR list)

Self-Care is not enough to fix how much moms are burnt out

20 Things To Focus On In 2020 by Taylor

Lecy's One Little Word for 2020

Time To Take Better Care Of Yourself by Steph

Thunderstruck (a poem) by Mia Sutton

2020 Might Be A Mess, But My House Isn't by Katie Hawkins-Gaar

The Hawk (a comics diary) by Austin Kleon

The 10 Most Checked-Out Books in N.Y. Public Library History

A Cozy Getaway by Alisa Burke

What did you read in January?

Thanks for visiting!

Until next time...

2 comments

  1. These sound like great books, I will have to check them out! I love Lecy's book posts too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to read Dear Martin! Glad you liked both of these.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete