Monday, January 27, 2020

One Little Word 2020

January is almost over, and I'm only now sharing my word for the year. I waited to share this post because I wanted to hold onto it for a little while longer. But I'm ready to share it now. 


My word for the year is NOURISH.

Nourish 

1. Nurture, Rear

2. To promote the growth of 

3. To furnish or sustain with nutriment

I really need this in my life. I'm learning that it is essential to take care of myself first. Putting myself first is really hard. It always has been. I need to stop feeling guilty about taking care of myself.

Nourish my mind

I plan to limit the amount of time that I watch or catch up on the news. I swear the news can be so toxic. Last year, I would go weeks without watching the news...and it was glorious. I still believe that it's incredibly important to be up to date on what's going on in the world, but sometimes it can be so overwhelming. It's essential to have a balance. 

Journaling and memory keeping are two ways that help clear my mind. To me, it's a form of therapy. I haven't been journaling as much as I'd like, and I hope that I can change that this year. Sometimes, I just have so much to say (or rather write) that I don't even know where to begin.

Nourish my body

I want to be more active. Last year, I kept making exercise goals and kept failing to accomplish them. I really want to change that this year. Honestly, I felt so drained, and what little energy I had left after the day ended, I just wanted to rest. Sure caring for three children definitely keeps me active, but I really want to actually work out more. 

I also need to eat better, as well. I kept sticking with our usual meals, even though I really wanted to try new recipes. I tend to eat snacks throughout the day and usually try to make sure that they are healthy. However, I noticed that there were times when I would forget to eat an actual meal. I would be so busy getting everything on my to-do list done that I actually would forget to eat. Well, this year, that is going to change.

No more, I wish I had time to exercise. No more "Oops I skipped lunch". I will nourish my body. I will take better care of myself. That also reminds me that I have to make my doctor's appointments. So that's another way that I am taking care of myself. 

Nourish my soul

I want to take more nature walks. I guess this could fall under nourishing my body, but I love that my word ties into all three of the main things I want to nourish. Anyways, I always feel at peace when I go for a walk, especially at the Silver Comet Trail. 

And there you have it, my word for the year. I will be a much better mom, wife, and person if I start taking care of myself. I've blogged about self-care many times on my blog, but I really need to take my own advice. Easier said than done, right? Well, this year, things are going to be different. 

What is your word for 2020? What do you hope to accomplish this year?

Thanks for visiting!

Until next time...

10 comments

  1. I love the commitment to get back into nature. It's so good for the soul! Best of luck to you on your nourishing journey.

    Mine is "voice." I need to find my writing voice again because it is also my soul voice. I've fallen into some voids because of that loss. Even writing this comment and reading your words feels like part of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I hope you find your writing voice again.

      Delete
  2. This is such a great word and a very important thing to focus on! I hope you find all the things that nourish your body and soul this year. There is something very nourishing and just amazing about getting out in nature, right? I love it and who doesn't feel better and more together after a good walk in some fresh air?! My word for the year is unapologetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's strange because I'm definitely a homebody and absolutely love staying home, but when I go out on the trail...it just makes me feel at peace.

      I love your word for the year. It's such a good one.

      Delete
  3. This is a great word Emily! I had this as my word a couple of years ago and found it was good to focus on! My word this year is joy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth! Joy is such a good word. I think it's so important to find joy in the little things and little moments.

      Delete
  4. I love your word for the year, and I definitely have some similar goals. I want to be more active - I take a couple dance classes, but beyond that. I also need to find better things to eat that keep me full and feeling better!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to take a couple of yoga classes. I keep saying that I'll try a class out, but then I never do. I should make that a monthly goal.

      Good luck on your goals. Have a great day.

      Delete
  5. I have to really be more active this year. It's so hard in the winter and that's where I really struggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. It's been cold and raining which has made it so hard to go out for walks.

      Delete