Wednesday, March 6, 2019

What I Read in February

Happy Wednesday! Last month, I accomplished my reading goal that I set for February. I read not one, but two books! I have been finding bits of time to read almost everyday. I'll read while Raphael is taking a nap or when I'm able to have some "me time". I was able to read two books because I took them with me during my chiropractor appointments and to the hair salon. Instead of just scrolling through my phone while I wait at appointments, I've been reading.

I'm really excited that I've been reading a lot more and it made me realize how much I really did miss reading a good book.

Below are the books and blog posts that I read.

Must Read


Friday Black by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah

This book was so good! This is Adjei-Brenyah's debut short story collection. The stories were a bit dark and many of them left me speechless. I don't even really know how to describe how some of the stories left me feeling. The stories were unique and dealt with racism, hate, violence, egos, capitalism, etc. I honestly believe that everyone should read this book. I would say that it's a necessary read.


Elevation by Stephen King

Oh my goodness! This is was such a great read! King described Elevation as a novella despite the cover stating that it was a novel. The story takes place in Castle Rock, Maine. The main character, Scott Carey, is dealing with an illness that is causing him to rapidly lose weight, without getting thinner. When he weighs himself, the scale registers the same number even if he has clothes on. While dealing with his illness, he is also having to figure out how to end his feud with his two new neighbors, Deidre and her wife Missy. The majority of the community disapproves of the couple, but the feud between the couple and Scott is over the couple's dogs dropping their business on his lawn.

I loved all of the characters and quickly became attached to them. The ending was absolutely amazing and sad. I was a little disappointed that the book wasn't longer, but the story was still wonderful.

Blog Posts I Loved in February

Emelia's thoughts on the current blogging scene

This post on Motherhood and Time

Being (and Loving) Yourself by Anne Butera

What did you read in February?

Thanks for visiting!

Until next time...

10 comments

  1. That Stephen King book looks interesting. I'm not a huge fan but I have enjoyed some of his in the past. I'm almost finished my current book and am looking for inspiration for the next. Thanks Emily. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good. I highly recommend it. What are you currently reading?

      Delete
  2. Isn't Stephen King awesome? Every story. I met him once. He carries around a messenger bag loaded with steno pads crammed with handwritten notes. Can you imagine just getting to read one of those?

    I love the idea of reading a book instead of scrolling through our phones while we wait places. I'm sticking the book I'm in now (Real Artists Don't Starve, by Jeff Goins) in my bag now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so lucky that you got to meet him. Reading one of his steno pads would be amazing! Real Artists Don't Starve sounds interesting. I'll have to add to my TBR list.

      Delete
  3. I haven’t read either of these books. Oddly, I’ve only read Steven King’s book On Writing (which is just that!), and it was excellent. so smart to bring books with you for appointments; I’m guilty of mindlessly scrolling through my phone, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've heard great things about King's On Writing. I keep forgetting to add that to my TBR list.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like some good reads for sure! And that blog post from Emilia is really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both books were amazing! I'm currently looking for books similar these two books.

      Delete
  5. That's awesome you read two good books. It can definitely be tough to find reading time, so that's great that you are fitting it in here and there.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren. I'm trying to cut down on mindlessly scrolling through social media. I was surprised to find bits of time that I could be reading a book instead of being on my phone.

      Delete