Friday, May 26, 2023

I Am A Writer


I am a writer. There I said it. I. Am. A. Writer. 

So many times, I've wondered if I should give myself this title. For years, when asked what I do for a living, I would respond that I am a stay-at-home mom and wife. When I included that I was a writer, some people would assume that my writing was just a hobby. To claim the title of writer, it seemed like I had to have a book published or have articles published in major publications. It was sometimes discouraging to feel like my writing didn't matter or that being a writer was just a silly dream. 

Sure, I may not have published a book, but I have had a couple of articles published. Although they were not published in "big name" publications, it was still amazing to have my work published. I was and still am proud of my work. My name may not be well known, but that is ok. I write for myself first. It's a form of self-care. It's my way of creating.

Times have changed. I am now in a new stage of motherhood, and I am currently back in the workforce. I am writing much more than I did in the past, and it's been a joy working on essays and stories. It's been essential to write and create in my journal. Now, I barely hesitate (I know, baby steps) when asked what I do for a living, and I always mention that I also write. I hold many titles, and although the titles of mother and wife are incredibly important to me and are a big part of my life, I am more than that. 

I am also a daughter, a sister, a friend, an artist, and so much more. And yes, that includes being a writer. So this is a reminder to myself: I am a writer and proudly claim this title. 



This post is part of a blog hop with Exhale - an online community of women pursuing creativity alongside motherhood, led by the writing team behind Coffee + Crumbs. Click here to view the next post in the series "Create Anyway."


Photo by Content Pixie on Unsplash

No comments

Post a Comment