Monday, February 14, 2022

Valentine's, Magnolias, and Warm Hands


Today is Valentine's Day, and oddly enough, it's one of my least favorite holidays. My feelings about the holiday are a bit complicated. I'm all for celebrating love every single day. I think what annoys me is the commercial aspect of the holiday. It feels a bit weird to buy a ton of stuff on one day to show your love. However, John and I always exchange a small gift every year even though we always say that we won't do it. We also get our boys a small gift, and I don't think that will ever change. However, celebrating most holidays when you have kids is much more fun. One of my favorite things about Valentine's Day is seeing the arts & crafts that my sons bring home from school. See...I told you my feelings on Valentine's Day are complicated. 

Speaking of complicated, I recently started watching Sweet Magnolias, a Netflix series adapted from the book series by Sherryl Woods, and I'm still unsure how to feel about the show. It's not a show that I would typically watch, and there are a few things about the show that I'm not a fan of. However, it may be because I read one of the books, and it was not the first book. I randomly read the fifth book, and I was absolutely not a fan. I'm still debating whether or not to read the first four books and the other books after the fifth book. All I can really say is to read the reviews on the books...both the positive and negative reviews.

Anyways, let's get back to the TV adaptation of the book. Sweet Magnolias is about three best friends, Maddie, Dana Sue, and Helen, who live in a small, Southern town called Serenity and deal with their family, relationships, and careers. The drama is insane. One of the major plotlines is Maddie has to deal with the aftermath of her husband's cheating (and he also got the other woman pregnant), their breakup, and ultimately her divorce. She also has to figure out how to co-parent with her ex-husband and start a new career. Let's just say Maddie is dealing with a lot. Again the drama is a lot. 

I've been reading Amy Turn Sharp's newsletter, Warm Hands. Can I just say how much I love the name of her newsletter? I first learned of Amy Turn Sharp via Instagram. I was excited when she made a newsletter. I love her poems and prompts. I find her poetry to be relatable. There have a few poems that brought me so much comfort. You should check out her work on Instagram if you get a chance. 


Thanks for visiting!

Until next time...

No comments

Post a Comment