Wednesday, December 4, 2019

What I Read in November

Last month, I read three books! I accomplished my reading goal for the month! Honestly, I'm a bit surprised, especially since I was sick for most of the month, the boys were also not feeling well, and I still had so much stuff to do.

Anyways, let's check out what I read in November.

Must Read


I read In A Dark, Dark Room and Other Stories a few days after Halloween. I wasn't ready to let go of Halloween just yet. This was such a quick read. I read it in under an hour. The stories are fantastic, and I love the illustrations. I was hit with a wave of nostalgia. I loved reading this book when I was a kid. Alvin Schwartz was amazing. Just like he did with the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series, he did his research on these stories.


Reasons to Stay Alive was absolutely amazing! I think everyone should read this book. I really took my time reading this book because I didn't want it to end. Some of the stories made me happy, some made me sad, and some were actually funny. This book really made me emotional.

It was so interesting reading about Matt's experience with depression. He did not sugar coat anything, which I really liked. He was honest. I love that he makes it clear that depression is different for everyone. He also doesn't push treatments; instead, he simply states what works for him. Again depression is different for everyone, which means that treatment is also different.

This was a dark but beautifully written book. I can't wait to read Matt's next book.


I saw this book at Target and was immediately drawn by the cover. When I bought the book, I had no idea what the book was even about. I only knew that it had stories and poems. Well, let me just say that I am so glad that I read this book. This is another book that I think everyone should read.

The poems and stories primarily focus on being mixed race and identity. The book also focuses on religion, gender, and family with a hint of politics. I love that Avan included stories and poems by other people who are of mixed race. The book also includes pieces by Avan as well as photographs. The artwork is terrific.

As a Dominican, I found myself nodding at some of the stories. Some of the stories were just incredibly relatable. It made me think about my identity and my family. I found myself thinking about religion as well.

This was such an inspiring read. I really hope I can find another book that is similar to this one.


What did you read in November?

Thanks for visiting!

Until next time...

2 comments

  1. I remember In A Dark, Dark Room! That was one of my favorites when I was young too. I will have to remember to try to find that for Ollie next Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome you read three books! I love following Matt on Twitter - he's so great when it comes to discussing mental health. It really is different for everyone.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete