Wednesday, February 6, 2019

What I Read in January

Happy Wednesday! One of my goals this year is to read at least 1 book per month. I think this monthly book series and book review posts will help me keep track of the challenge as well as motivate me to keep reading. Last month, I accomplished my reading goal. I also read quite a few blog posts as well. You may notice that I included some blog posts from December. I decided to include blog posts that I read in that month as well since I never made a post about what I read in December.

Below is the book that I read as well as the blog posts that I loved.

Must Read



Art Matters by Neil Gaiman (illustrated by Chris Riddell)

This book was absolutely amazing! I absolutely love Gaiman and his work so I was not surprised that I loved this book. It's a quick read and I read it in one day while I was at the hair salon. This may sound weird, but after reading this book, I actually hugged it. It was just that good.

Art Matters is a collection of four essays that addresses the importance of reading and writing. I loved every single essay. I especially loved Credo and Why Our Future Depends on Libraries, Reading, and Daydreaming. These essays were previously published, but I had never read them so I was very happy to read these. Even if you have read these essays before, I think they are worth reading again.

In Credo, Gaiman talks about freedom of speech and ideas. I loved learning about how Gaiman started writing in Make Good Art. Making a Chair is more of a poem than an essay, but it was also really great.

The illustrations by Chris Riddell were perfect! Gaiman's words and Riddells' illustrations mixed well and I hope they work together soon.

Do yourself a favor and read this book. Buy it from a bookstore or borrow it from your local library. It. Is. Worth. It.

Blog Posts I Loved in December

I loved this post by Neely. It's good to see that I am not the only one who doesn't adjust our schedule for others.

This post on patience and raising kind children.

A Woman's Place is in the House article in Elle Magazine.

Part 1 and Part 2 of Taylor's (from The Daily Tay) Christmas story.

Blog Posts I Loved In January

I loved these photos that Kat took on her trip to the catacombs of Paris. Visiting the catacombs of Paris is on my bucket list!

I loved reading Ali Edwards' post on documenting an evening during this time of year. The last two sentences on her post are so true.

What do stay-at-home moms do all day?

What did you read in January?

Thanks for visiting!

Until next time...

6 comments

  1. I'm glad to hear this was such a great read! I like Neil Gaiman so this is definitely going on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad to hear you liked this! It's one I really want to read too.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great read. I hope you get to read it.

      Delete
  3. Omg I need to read that Neal Gaiman book. It warms my heart so much to hear that you hugged it after—that’s so lovely ❤️ Thanks, too, for sharing these blog posts. Will have to stop by. The one about the catacombs in particular I can’t wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the photos from the catacombs. They were so cool.

      Delete