Wednesday, August 24, 2022

There's Something About August

There's something about August that has me feeling all over the place. This happens every year. Maybe it's because school has started, so we are now adjusting to our "normal" routine. I usually crave having a routine. It doesn't have to be a strict routine, but having some type of balance in my schedule is nice. 

During summer, we really don't have much of a schedule. We just enjoy the days, and sometimes we plan trips and vacations, but for the most part, we make plans as we go. It actually feels very freeing...not having to have a schedule. 

But in August, I find myself in a strange transition. August is that in-between phase. It's still summer, but the hints of fall are around me. Stores already have their fall displays out. Fall baked goods and fall apparel are being sold in shops. It's a strange time for shopping. We're still dealing with 80+ degree weather around here, yet sweaters, coats, boots, etc., are being sold. We won't have to wear that type of clothing until probably late October or early November. 

For the first time in a long time, I'm mourning the end of summer. I'm going to miss going to the pool, sleeping in, staying up late, going on adventures, and consuming all the summer foods. I'm going to miss the freedom of not having a schedule and not worrying about making plans. 

And yet, I'm still excited for fall. I'm craving the sound of crunching leaves beneath my feet, the cooler temperature, the cozy sweaters and joggers, and Halloween. I come alive during fall. I'm much more creative during that time. 

But it's still August, and this August is a bit different from the years past. So many unexpected changes have occurred. It's made me a little anxious but also excited. It's a strange feeling both of these emotions at the same time. It's like I'm being pulled in two different directions. I'm excited to see what happens in the next month or so.

The end of August is near, but it's felt like the longest month of the year. August feels like summer's last hurrah. Like it never wants to end. Like it wants to hold on. 

Although I'm feeling all over the place, what brings me comfort is that August feels like a new beginning. It's the start of a new cycle, a clean slate...much like how it feels on New Year's Eve and Day. I'm ready for the upcoming days, weeks, and months.  


Photo by NordWood Themes on Unsplash

No comments

Post a Comment