Monday, February 6, 2017

Using Distress Markers to Make a Watercolor Background

A couple of weeks ago, I read a blog post by Alisa Burke. She blogged about using her kid's markers to make a colorful background in her watercolor notebook. I thought it was such an awesome idea and decided to try this technique, but I used my Distress Markers instead. Distress Markers are water-based inks and can be used in many different ways.



To make the colorful background, I just simply took a few of my markers and then scribbled onto the paper. Then I grabbed my watercolor brush, dipped it in some water and then began go over the scribbles. I didn't have to use a lot of water and you can still see some of the scribbles/markings, but that's ok. Once the paper dried, I decided to use a sharpie marker to draw some shapes and flowers. 

If you use a sharpie in a Moleskine watercolor notebook, there will be some bleed through. You can use a Micron black pen if you want to avoid any bleed through. I chose to use a sharpie since this technique is new to me and I was/am trying to get out of my comfort zone.

Supplies Used:
  • Sharpie Marker
  • Winsor & Newton Cotman Size 10 Round Brush
Have you tried this technique before?

Thanks for visiting!

Until next time...


No comments

Post a Comment