Friday, November 17, 2023

Dulce // Sweet

I come alive in the fall time. The early morning light at 7 AM is a welcome gift when Daylight Saving Time ends. I am not a morning person, but coffee is a tremendous help. That first sip of coffee before getting ready for work and taking the kids to school is such a comfort and absolutely glorious. 

For some reason, Mother Nature decides to be even more beautiful during fall. The moon constantly has me in awe and wonder on fall nights. I seek peace at the Silver Comet Trail and, often, will find myself walking for far longer than I usually would. 

I find myself listening much more to the sweet sounds of nature around me. The hoot of the neighborhood owl always brings a smile to my face. The falling leaves and the crunching sound they make as I continue my evening walk around the neighborhood. 

Saturday mornings are spent making big batches of banana chocolate chip waffles for the boys. This is when I usually listen to classic songs. Good music is heard all around. James Taylor is crooning How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) while my husband twirls me around. Sometimes, the boys smile and go back to watching their morning cartoons.

With the fall season comes cold and flu season. Of course, I always call Mami and ask for her remedios. Only her remedies for colds and sore throats will do. "Prepárate un té con limón y miel," she says. She'll insist that I make the tea along with a slew of other remedies. "La miel sabe dulce," she reminds me when I complain of making tea. She knows I hate tea, but it always works. It's true what they say: mothers know best. And every year, without fail, I call Mami to ask for her remedios despite knowing precisely what she'll recommend. I may be an adult, but I still find comfort in my mother's voice. Always have and always will.

The in-between of seasons sometimes has me feeling conflicted, especially when it's fall and signs of winter are appearing. With Halloween falling on the last day of October, November 1st seems to be the unofficial start to the holiday season. But fall still has a chokehold on me. However, I'll still listen to my fall playlist while throwing in a Christmas song or two. Fall always comes to an end, but it'll always have an everlasting hold on my heart. As the years go by, I hope to always remember the everyday moments and sweet sounds of my favorite season, fall.


This post is part of a blog hop with Exhale - an online community of women pursuing creativity alongside motherhood, led by the writing team behind Coffee + Crumbs. Click here to view the next post in the series "Mellifluous."


Photo by Oliver Hihn on Unsplash

No comments

Post a Comment