Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Women in Sports -- Blogging for Books Review

Happy Wednesday! Today I'm so excited to share my review of Women in Sports by Rachel Ignotofsky. I first heard of Ignotofsky when her book, Women in Science, was released.


I am not really into sports, but I have always been interested to hear about the achievements and stories of women in sports. Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of people focus on men and sports so I think it's important to note that there are women who helped contribute to sports. 

This book is absolutely amazing! The book features 50 women in different sports. Some of the sports mentioned are soccer, basketball, baseball, figure skating, skydiving, softball, track and field, tennis, ice hockey, and more. There are a lot of doodles and the art is really cute. Each page features information on the athlete in the form of a mini essay. I also love that there are little facts and quotes that the athletes were quoted as saying on each page. The book also has a timeline, a section on muscle anatomy, information on pay and media statistics, and features influential sports teams as well as a section about more women in sports.

I loved learning about Madge Syers. She was a figure skater who began the trend of skating in calf-length skirts so that the judges could see her footwork. She was also the first woman to win two medals in figure skating at the same Olympic Games. I also loved learning about Tiny Broadwick, a skydiver. She was called "The First Lady of Parachuting" and was the first woman to parachute into a body of water. The U.S. military asked her to advise the aeronautics corps on parachute use during World War I.

I really enjoyed reading this book and highly recommend this book. I think it's perfect for people who love sports as well as people like me who are not really big sports fans.

Have you read Women in Sports? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks for visiting!

Until next time...

8 comments

  1. I'm ALLLLLLLL for empowering women and showing off their skills. I gotta get my hands on this book to show some of my students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a great book. I really want to read Women in Science next.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a fantastic read - I might recommend it to my book club, we're always looking for more books about women!
    Beth
    The Beth Next Door

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. I plan to read Women in Science.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of this book before but I'm all for female empowerment and would love to hear about some of the achievements women have had in sports. Also the story of Madge Syers is fascinating to me! These are the true groundbreakers that we kind of take for granted over the years, so it's important to honor them <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. I was a bit upset that I hadn't heard of many of these women yet they contributed to a lot of sports and even changed sports.

      Delete
  4. Love this! I need to check it out. I'd love to share it with my boys, too, to show that men AND women excel at sports. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to read it to my boys as well. I think it's so important to show boys that men and women can excel at the same things. It made me a bit sad that I had not heard of many of the women in the book.

      Delete