Monday, June 27, 2016

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks--Blogging for Books Review

Happy Monday! I recently finished reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. When I first received this book, I was not sure what to expect because I knew it would go into science and medicine. Normally I don't read books that are about medicine and science, but I really wanted to read this book so I could learn more about Henrietta and her family.


The book is about Henrietta Lacks' life and her family as well as the study on the HeLa cells. The book mentions doctors who studied the cells and it also goes into ethics. The story was great and left me thinking about medicine and ethics. It also left me feeling various emotions throughout the book. There were a couple of the chapters in the book that actually made me a bit upset. The way Henrietta's family were treated made me feel so bad for them and I felt so incredibly bad for how her children were treated as they grew up. This book made me realize that we really have come a long way from how people were treated back then compared to now. So many policies and consent forms have been created due to Henrietta's case as well as other similar ones. I don't want to give too much information on this book because I don't want to spoil it, but this book was incredibly interesting to read and I highly recommend it.

Have you read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks? What are your thoughts on the book?

Thanks for visiting!

Until next time...

I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for this review. All opinions expressed here are my own.

No comments

Post a Comment