Sunday, July 12, 2015

The Mapmaker's Children--Blogging for Books Review

A while ago, I received my second book from Blogging for Books. I chose to read and review The Mapmaker's Children by Sarah McCoy.


This book actually took me a while to read. I tend to like historical fiction or anything that has to do with history, but (unfortunately there's a but) I just didn't get into the book like I thought I would. It was not a horrible book, I just didn't care for the switches between past and present which I will explain below.

The book is about a woman named Sarah Brown (one of the main characters) who is the daughter of abolitionist John Brown. She ends up finding out about her father's work on the Underground Railroad, has to deal with infertility, and also ends up helping slaves escape to the north. The other main character is Eden Anderson who is also struggling with infertility. Eden, however, lives in the present. There is a 150 year difference between the events. I definitely preferred to read more about Sarah's story, but Eden's story was still interesting as well. I think Sarah's story interested me more because she lived in a different era whereas Eden lives in modern day America. It is amazing how Sarah hid maps in her paintings in order to save slaves. I loved the pages in the back of the book which had information on how the author came up with the story. There is also a recipe at the end of the book and some information on Sarah Brown and her family.

On a scale of one to five stars, I would give it 3 stars.

Have you read The Mapmaker's Children? What are your thoughts on the book?

Until next time...

I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for this review. All opinions expressed here are my own.

No comments

Post a Comment